WELCOME TO FIFTH GRADE: 2018-2019
I’m looking forward to experiencing this learning opportunity with you and your parents.
- My webpage will be used for daily/ weekly communication.
- Power School will be used to communicate your child’s progress.
- Please use phone calls (school: 968-4416; home: 266-5143) or email (Lisa.Held@k12.nd.us) to communicate with me.
- Fill in planner daily.
- Take home corrected papers daily; remove from backpack daily.
- North Dakota Standards are followed and are found at the NDDPI website
- Textbooks will not necessarily be covered from beginning to end.
How Teaching Happens
- I Do; We Do; You Do or I model; we practice; you demonstrate.
- Assessment is not always a sheet; it may be a diagram, model, project, etc.
- Practice time is determined by need.
- Assessment is independent.
- Work time is quiet time.
- Different strategies are used for different learning styles.
- Time is given to complete assignment/ assessment.
- Generally work is due right away in the morning the day after it is assigned. Exceptions will be written in the planner.
- What isn’t finished during school should be taken home, completed, and returned.
- Parents, please send me a note if the assignment/ assessment wasn’t finished by the time it was due; the student will be given more time. Students can’t just tell me and receive more time.
- All tests are announced and written in planners.
- Spelling tests will be at the end of each lesson and are taken electronically.
- Tests are not open book.
- Study your notes and practice your vocabulary cards often.
How It’s Done
- Comprehension questions are always answered in complete sentences with capital letters and punctuation. We’ll practice during the first quarter.
- Penmanship is always important.
- Read books in your AR level and follow the schedule.
- You need 18 book reports for a North Dakota Reading Certificate
- Book report projects are graded according to a rubric that is presented before you begin working on them.
- The grade for the AR Quiz is a reading grade. The book report grade is a reading or a language grade.
Website Information: North Star Public School—Elementary—Lisa Held
- Planner Page that tells what should be written in the planner each day
- Spelling words for the current week
- Book Report Information
- Assignment Policy
- Fact Practice Websites